[Lxc-users] Container Filesystem in a file (loopback mount)

Andy Billington andy at andybillington.com
Thu Sep 30 21:38:40 UTC 2010

On 30/09/2010 22:26, John Drescher wrote:
> I am interested in using btrfs for my containers but I am thinking its
> too experimental to use in a work production environment.
>

>> Btrfs-tools says 0.19 as that's what came in from the apt-get. Maybe
>> newer btrfs versions may work better, but until they "qualify" for an
>> apt-get in Ubuntu LTS, they aren't options. ZFS on the other hand has
>> been rock solid in testing in this and other scenarios for two years, so
>> the problems I've had are not LXC related, they are btrfs problems with
>> the current LTS version of btrfs. Maybe someone can get look at getting
>> that upgraded, if there is a stable release? But, as I said, digressing ....
>>

> You mean zfs or zfs-fuse?
>
> John

ZFS from a Solaris host, either using NFS or iSCSI, worked just fine.
Also tried OpenSolaris, worked ok although some initial issues with the
combination of Crossbow networking, iSCSI and ZFS, but once through
those it was rock solid, even worked seamlessly clustered. In lots of
ways it's sad to see OpenSolaris go - while one could use the best bits
of each to do the appropriate job, the combination of Linux and
OpenSolaris is a fairly strong one. I hope one or more of the supposed
follow-ons to OpenSol works out ...