[Lxc-users] Start a container in background but with boot messages

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Tue Sep 7 14:15:05 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 03:25 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 01:11 PM, Clemens Perz wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Afaik there are two usual ways to start a container: lxc-start with or
>> without the -d option.
>>
>> Does anyone know about a way to start a container, watch the messages of
>> the services started and any output of the scripts, but when startup is
>> finished returning to the shell, as if you had used -d?
>>

> I don't think it is possible but it is highly desired and quite easy to
> implement IMO.

I hoped so :)

> There are a few question by the way:
>
>  * should the container daemonize when we exit the console ?
>  * should we automatically daemonize the container when there is no tty ?
>  * should we get the console again with lxc-console if needed ?

Hmm, what is currently happening to the script output? Do you open the
console first, run init and after starting the services there is a getty
lurking?

If so, there must be some kind of redirection in place. In my little
world I thought the main problem would be to find out when the scripts
have finished, but thinking about it - you already know when to show a
prompt, so it should be the same moment when disconnecting the stdout >
tty relation.

Simple me ;-))

I thought

-d = redirect all output to the tty and do not end up in a console. If
there is no tty, /dev/null is your friend

-q = be quiet, all goes to /dev/null

none of the above = like if you omit -d now

And for automation

lxc.startup-options = [d][q]

Cheers,
Clemens