[Lxc-users] Dreadful network performance, only to host from container

atp Andrew.Phillips at lmax.com
Thu May 27 08:06:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

Send

ifconfig br0    from the host
ifconfig eth0   from the container

and the version of lxc you're using. Do you have anything special with
the /etc/sysctl.conf?

On a completely blank container with no tuning, I get with scp;

host->container   squashfs.img     100%  639MB  33.6MB/s   00:19
container->host   squashfs.img      100%  639MB  29.0MB/s   00:22

Both tests inside the container. The limiting resource here is cpu for
the
encryption.

I'm on kernel 2.6.34/fc12 for this.

Andy

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 17:51 +1000, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> Hi,
> I have several LXC containers, running on Ubuntu Lucid's current kernel,
> 2.6.32-22.
>
> Network performance from the containers to the LAN is fine.
> However copying files (scp/rsync/whatever) between the containers and
> their host is extremely slow - a steady 32 kb/sec.
>
> I am using bridged networking, with an mtu of 1500 on the bridge and all
> the related devices (virtual and real).
> I have tried setting 'setfd' to 0 on br0.
>
> Config includes:
> lxc.network.type = veth
> lxc.network.flags = up
> lxc.network.link = br0
> lxc.network.ipv4 = 0.0.0.0
> lxc.network.name = eth0
>

> I couldn't spot anything quite like this on the mailing list archives,
> although I did see in february this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00071.html
>
> but it didn't seem to be resolved.
>

> Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Toby

Andrew Phillips
Head of Systems

www.lmax.com

Office: +44 203 1922509
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 242 900

LMAX | Level 2, Yellow Building | 1 Nicholas Road | London | W11 4AN

The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.