[Lxc-users] lxc-unshare woes and signal forwarding in lxc-start

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri May 7 10:14:22 UTC 2010

Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> I can see that lxc-unshare isn't for me: I wanted to use it to avoid
>> adding the extra lxc-start process between two daemons communicating via
>> signals, but it's impossible to unshare PID namespaces, so I'm doomed.
>
> There is a pending patchset to unshare the pid namespace, maybe for
> 2.6.35 or 2.6.36 ...

Then why does lxc-unshare insist on forking?  I thought unsharing the
PID namespace was infeasible, because it changed the value returned by
getpid(), but if more and more unsharing gets implemented, a
PID-conserving helper would seem quite useful.  Maybe not for
virtualizing full systems, but very much for insulating batch jobs under
the supervision of some scheduler (like SGE for example).
--
Thanks,
Feri.