[Lxc-users] Live Migration of LXC

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Sat Mar 20 20:30:15 UTC 2010

Sagar Dixit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read on libvirt website that it supports LXC. Just curious to know if I
> can use libvirt live migration APIs with LXCs to migrate them from one
> machine to other ?

There is a confusion the word LXC. Libvirt took this name at the same
time the lxc tools were developed.
The lxc tools are standalone userspace commands to use the containers.
The LXC in libvirt is coded inside, without an external component (maybe
someone, one day will create a driver for the lxc tools, who knows ...).

The checkpoint / restart (aka migration, live migration, etc ...) is not
mainstream, so it is not implemented in the libvirt.

There will be available a kernel patchset in a few weeks making possible
to do live migration with the lxc userspace tools (not libvirt), with
some restrictions.

In the same time, there is another checkpoint / restart kernel patchset
on the way asking for mainstream inclusion and there are some patchset
for lxc to integrate this implementation.

So within 2/3 months, we should have lxc with 2 checkpoint/restart
solutions embedded in it.

Thanks
  -- Daniel