[Lxc-users] What's the setup for macvlan on the host to talk to containers?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Tue Jul 6 18:07:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 06:36:48PM +0100, atp wrote:
> You'll need a recent version of iproute2.
>
> I have iproute2-2.6.34.tar.bz2

Think I need to update that. Ubuntu sadly doesn't reveal the real version,
just "iproute2-ss091226", but since "ip link help" shows no mode option,
that's likely why my first attempt wasn't going anywhere.

>   ip link add link bond200 name bond200:0 address 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee \
>   type macvlan mode bridge

Is there a necessity to the :0 naming convention (as with eth0:0 before
iproute2 gave us direct multi-IP assignments)?

>   In terms of the conceptual model, think of it as the same as an ip
> alias, or secondary ip address, but at the mac level.

Thanks much,
Whit