[Lxc-users] Poor network performance between container and host

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jan 30 18:05:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 14:16 +0100, Dominik Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently evaluating LXC as an alternative to other contextualisation
> technologies, and I have the problem that network connections between the
> container and the host on which it is running are very slow (about 35 kbit/s)
> wheras connections to other system can exploit the full connection speed.

> Is this a known issue or is someting wrong with my configuration?

> The relevant snippet of my lxc config:
> lxc.network.type = veth
> lxc.network.flags = up
> lxc.network.link = br0
> lxc.network.name = eth0
> lxc.network.mtu = 1500

> My Bridge (br0) has an MTU of 1480, could that be the problem?

That certainly could be a contributing problem with large packets from
the container to the host being fragmented but PMTU discovery should
address that.  You might also try macvlan instead of veth.  Some people
prefer it although I've had problems with it on some kernel revs with
host to guest connections.

Mike