[Lxc-users] Hosting for pre-built lxc containers

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Feb 7 21:32:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 19:28 -0500, Bodhi Zazen wrote:
> I would like to introduce myself to the lxc-users mailing list. I
> currently use OpenVZ but I am very interested in learning lxc.
>
> I am finding it to be a difficult transition and it is difficult to
> find pre built containers. Building one from scratch takes some
> patience.

I also came from the OpenVZ world (and Linux-vservers before it).  I've
been able to use the templates from OpenVZ with LXC with little effort.
Basically, just remove the various vz-dummy packages from the rpm based
distros and rebuild some of the /dev/ and kill udev (I put an "exit 0"
in /etc/udev/udev.conf to cause udev-start to exit when it reads its
config).  At that point, I've got a template I can clone as much as I
like.  Several revs of CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Suse, and Ubuntu.

I also have some frontend driver scripts which will convert an OpenVZ
configuration over to a functional LXC container configuration you can
feed to lxc-create.  I've migrated over 3 dozen VM's that way.

> Along those lines ...
>
> I have built a fedora 12 container and am hosting it on my server :
>
> http://bodhizazen.fivebean.net/LXC/
>
> As time allows I will add containers for ubuntu (lucid) and probably
> rawhide, i686 and x64_86.
>
> The server is fast and I have available space and would like to offer
> space for hosting containers others may wish to contribute.
>
> I also posted two blogs re: building fedora 12 / rawhide containers as
> well as ubuntu lucid.
>
> http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-fedora-containers/
> http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-ubuntu-lucid-containers/
>
> I hope I did not mangle them too much =)
>
> As time allows I will add additional instructions.
>
> Is there any interest in reviewing on ling guides and posting a list
> of how to's ? I am aware of a few links, but if the group has a list
> of links I would be willing to convert them to html format and perhaps
> the list could then be uploaded in a public place ?
>
> As time allows I am in #lxcontainers and lxc-devel

Mike