[Lxc-users] limiting RAM usage and disk space usage

Matt Rechenburg matt at openqrm.com
Mon Dec 6 12:16:04 UTC 2010

Hi Gordon,

On 12/03/2010 05:59 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Matt Rechenburg wrote:
>

>> Hi Lxc team,
>>
>> actually I would vote against a loop mount.
>>
> I would "vote" to allow the local systems administrator the choice of what
> suits them best.

fully agree with you on that

> And since there's no reason to explicitly block loopback mounts, then
> don't do it.
>

>> Much easier and more flexible is to use lvm and mount a logical volume
>> at the containers root directory before the container starts.
>>
> Much easier and flexible (for me) would be to use files mounted via loop.
>

>> This will automatically limit the available disk space for the container
>> and gives you the flexibility to e.g. snapshot and resize the
>> containers disk.
>>
> Files mounted via loop will automatically limit the avalable disk space
> for the container and gives me the flexibility to e.g. snapshot and resize
> the containers disk.
>

>> In my setup I have several "master" images located on
>> logical volumes and when I need a new lxc container I just
>> snapshot one of the master images and deploy the snapshot.
>> btw: this way Lxc is integrated into openQRM (root on lvm).
>>
> In my setup ... Well, it's different from yours, and I don't use LVM. My
> Linux kernel does not use LVM, I do not need the overhead of yet another
> layer of software for my servers to go through before the data gets
> to/from the disks, so I've no interst in LVM. Do not force LXC into one
> system or another - let us all have the choice to use what we want to use.
>

>> many thanks + keep up the great work,
>> Matt Rechenburg
>> Project Manager openQRM
>>
> So you have a vested interest in LVM - just because others don't, then
> don't exclude us from using other mechanisms.

oh, please do not get me wrong.
I am fully with you keeping the lxc commands generic and adapt specific
features via script wrappers.
Just meant it should not be limited to loop-mounts only. The sysadmin
should have the choice.

greetz + best,

Matt Rechenburg
Project Manager openQRM