[Lxc-users] limiting RAM usage and disk space usage

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Fri Dec 3 16:59:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Matt Rechenburg wrote:

> Hi Lxc team,
>
> actually I would vote against a loop mount.

I would "vote" to allow the local systems administrator the choice of what
suits them best.

And since there's no reason to explicitly block loopback mounts, then
don't do it.

> Much easier and more flexible is to use lvm and mount a logical volume
> at the containers root directory before the container starts.

Much easier and flexible (for me) would be to use files mounted via loop.

> This will automatically limit the available disk space for the container
> and gives you the flexibility to e.g. snapshot and resize the
> containers disk.

Files mounted via loop will automatically limit the avalable disk space
for the container and gives me the flexibility to e.g. snapshot and resize
the containers disk.

> In my setup I have several "master" images located on
> logical volumes and when I need a new lxc container I just
> snapshot one of the master images and deploy the snapshot.
> btw: this way Lxc is integrated into openQRM (root on lvm).

In my setup ... Well, it's different from yours, and I don't use LVM. My
Linux kernel does not use LVM, I do not need the overhead of yet another
layer of software for my servers to go through before the data gets
to/from the disks, so I've no interst in LVM. Do not force LXC into one
system or another - let us all have the choice to use what we want to use.

> many thanks + keep up the great work,
> Matt Rechenburg
> Project Manager openQRM

So you have a vested interest in LVM - just because others don't, then
don't exclude us from using other mechanisms.

There's always more than one way to do something.

Gordon