[Lxc-users] unstoppable container

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Mon Aug 30 12:11:46 UTC 2010

Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> writes:

> On 08/30/2010 12:40 PM, Papp Tamás wrote:
>
>> In the tasks file I saw three processes: udevd, init and one more, which
>> I don't remember. I killed them all, but the cgroup still exists.
>
> The cgroup is removed by lxc-start, but this is not a problem, because
> it will be removed (if empty), when running lxc-start again.

I suspect a transmission error in this sentence, could you please resend it?

> Usually, there is a mechanism used in lxc to kill -9 the process 1 of
> the container (which wipes out all the processes of the containers) when
> lxc-start dies.

I guess this mechanism has no chance when lxc-start is killed by SIGKILL...

> So if you still have the processes running inside the container but
> lxc-start is dead, then:
>   * you are using a 2.6.32 kernel which is buggy (this mechanism is broken).
>  or/and
>   * there are processes in 'T' states within the container

Is this a kernel mechanism to clean up all processes of a container when
the container init exits, or is it a user-space thing implemented in
lxc-start?  If the former, in which versions of 2.6.32 is this feature
broken?
--
Thanks,
Feri.