[Lxc-users] unstoppable container

Papp Tamás tompos at martos.bme.hu
Mon Aug 30 12:20:24 UTC 2010

Daniel Lezcano wrote, On 2010. 08. 30. 13:08:
> The cgroup is removed by lxc-start, but this is not a problem, because
> it will be removed (if empty), when running lxc-start again.

If I understand well, this happened to me now.

>>>   * the state of the processes of the containers (stopped or not)
>>
>> I don't know, what do you mean on stopped. Is there any available?
>
> Sorry, I meant "stopped" in a unix process semantic way (zombie,
> stopped, running, uninterruptible, ...)
>
> The command is :
>
> lxc-ps --lxc -axf
>
> Where the output is like:
>
> CONTAINER    PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
> ubuntu2     6705 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/init
> ubuntu2     6805 ?        Ss     0:00 dbus-daemon --system --fork
> ubuntu2     6857 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon
> --no-daemon
> ubuntu2     6966 ?        Ss     0:00 dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf
> /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0
>

> The interesting information is the STAT column.

OK, next time.

> Usually, there is a mechanism used in lxc to kill -9 the process 1 of
> the container (which wipes out all the processes of the containers)
> when lxc-start dies.

It should wipe out them, but in my case it was unsuccessfull, even if I
killed the init process by hand.

> So if you still have the processes running inside the container but
> lxc-start is dead, then:
>   * you are using a 2.6.32 kernel which is buggy (this mechanism is
> broken).

Ubuntu 10.04, so it's exactly the point, the kernel is 2.6.32 .

Could you point me (or the Ubuntu guy in the list) to an URL, which
describes the problem or maybe to the kernel patch. If it's possible,
maybe the Ubuntu kernel maintainers would fix the official Ubuntu kernel.

Thank you,

tamas