[Lxc-users] getty's and lxc-console

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Wed Aug 25 12:42:13 UTC 2010

On 08/25/2010 12:51 PM, Clemens Perz wrote:
> On 08/25/2010 12:05 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>
>> On 08/25/2010 11:45 AM, Clemens Perz wrote:
>>
>>> Daniel,
>>>
>>> maybe you want to have a look on this, too. The current debian templates
>>> add lxc.pts = 1024 to the config.
>>>
>>> If you have two containers with that setting and you start them, only
>>> the first one started will give you access to the console. The second
>>> wont.
>>>
>>> Dunno if this needs a fix in the template or if it point to an issue.
>>>

>> Strange, I just create 2 debian containers and I was able to access the
>> console to both.
>>

> Oouch! :) I rebooted my host and started the containers one after the
> other, uncommenting the setting in the conf again. Now its working fine.
> Maybe I confused myself while hunting the other issue, killing some
> getty's, but not all.
>
> Sorry for bugging you with nonsense ;-))

No problem, maybe you really hit a bug but it is hard to reproduce. It
is preferable to report a bug even it is not one ;)

BTW, I got the problem with the console when we try to open a second
console to the container. The "busy" console slot is resetted each time
we do a disconnect when sending a command. In our case, the first
lxc-console ask for a console to lxc-start, the busy slot is set and
right after reseted when lxc-console disconnect after completing its
command. Then the second lxc-console ask for a console, but as the first
busy slot was reseted, the same console is provided to the second
lxc-console. Hence we have both lxc-console commands using the same
container console.

A workaround is to specify the console number with lxc-console -n <name>
-t 2