[lxc-devel] Integration Kubernetes and LXD/LXC

Oliver Schad oliver.schad at automatic-server.com
Tue Oct 2 08:36:12 UTC 2018

Hi Free,

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 09:36:16 +0200
Free Ekanayaka <free.ekanayaka at canonical.com> wrote:

> Oliver Schad <oliver.schad at automatic-server.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > What is wrong with new pod names?
> >
> > Think about a production database, MySQL. You're so proud, it runs
> > since 3 monthes, you tuned it, you have a great monitoring, you have
> > great backup/restore procedure, you've tested it, you're the hero of
> > this MySQL server and your Webshop earns a lot of money with that
> > thing.
> >
> > But, oh bad, you've updated Kubelet and that creates a new pod
> > name. So that means that your old pod will just die (die as in
> > forever, deleted, erased, terminated including your data).
>
> I'm not a k8s expert (actually I never really used it), but I believe
> what you'd want in this care are StatefulSets:
>
> https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/workloads/controllers/statefulset/

The problem starts with the container engine: Docker restarts really
often for a lot of reasons (bugs, too much load, updates). This will
kill all your containers.

So in short: Docker is really dangerous in case you want to have 24/7
online.

If the container layer is unstable, you can't build a stable service on
top of it.

Best Regards
Oli