[lxc-devel] Integration Kubernetes and LXD/LXC

Free Ekanayaka free.ekanayaka at canonical.com
Tue Oct 2 07:36:16 UTC 2018

Oliver Schad <oliver.schad at automatic-server.com> writes:

[...]

> What is wrong with new pod names?
>
> Think about a production database, MySQL. You're so proud, it runs
> since 3 monthes, you tuned it, you have a great monitoring, you have
> great backup/restore procedure, you've tested it, you're the hero of
> this MySQL server and your Webshop earns a lot of money with that thing.
>
> But, oh bad, you've updated Kubelet and that creates a new pod name. So
> that means that your old pod will just die (die as in forever, deleted,
> erased, terminated including your data).

I'm not a k8s expert (actually I never really used it), but I believe
what you'd want in this care are StatefulSets:

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/workloads/controllers/statefulset/

In general, there is a growing number of k8s features that have been
introduced specifically to meet the requirements of stateful services,
for example Persistent Volumes:

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/storage/persistent-volumes/

Cheers,

Free