[lxc-devel] Request for update Jenkins script for plamo images

TAMUKI Shoichi tamuki at linet.gr.jp
Thu Sep 4 10:36:22 UTC 2014

Hello Stephane,

From: TAMUKI Shoichi <tamuki at linet.gr.jp>
Subject: Re: [lxc-devel] Request for update Jenkins script for plamo images
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:17:50 +0900

> So, suppose installing rootfs does in the same way as tar with
> --numeric-option, and calling tar with --numeric-owner when archiving
> rootfs.tar.xz, the whole uid/gid are consistently unchanged.  However,
> please just think about it.  The rootfs.tar.xz will be for a certain
> distribution only.
>
> I think that all pre-built rootfs images may work on any distributions
> each other with right ownership for the system.  Therefore, we should
> not calling tar with --numeric-owner option in the Jenkins script.

Sorry, that was completely my misunderstanding.  The whole uid/gid in
rootfs should be consistently unchanged as in original packages, since
the system in a container refers /etc/{password,group} files in the
container, not in the host.

I think it is correct to call tar with --numeric-owner option when
archiving rootfs.tar.xz.  Also, we should install packages into rootfs
in the same way as tar with --numeric-option.

Regards,
TAMUKI Shoichi