[lxc-devel] Upstart job /etc/init/lxc-net.conf doesn't allow re-loading dnsmasq' configuration.

Adam Ryczkowski adam.ryczkowski at statystyka.net
Thu Oct 30 13:28:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

There is a subtle bug in the upstart job /etc/init/lxc-net.conf. The
part that is invoked when you start the service first checks for the
presence of the lxcbr0 bridge: if it exists it simply exits, without
touching the dnsmasq deamon. And the part that gets called on lxc-net
stop doesn't remove the bridge (the bridge may be in use by existing
containers). tl,dr: issuing sudo service lxc-net restart **doesn't
reload dnsmasq configuration**.

This is a major nuisance if you want to assign static IP to the
containers via dnsmasq.

------

I have contacted Serge Hallyn who is the original author of the script
on that matter; we both agree that the proper resolution would be to
split the lxc-net.conf into two jobs: one which prepares the bridge, and
second that governs the dnsmasq service.

Is this job already done? Where is the bug tracker? If I submit a patch,
would someone took a time and inspect it - I have started to learn how
to use upstart specifically for this task and have exactly no experience.

Yours,

Adam Ryczkowski
+48505919892 <callto:+48505919892>
Skype:sisteczko <skype:sisteczko>