[lxc-devel] openSUSE template still at 12.3?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Oct 30 19:01:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-30 at 18:51 +0100, Johannes Kastl wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> are there so few openSUSE users, or is there another reason why the
> openSUSE template still installs 12.3, although 13.1 is available for
> so long (and 13.2 is around the corner)?

I can't speak to how many openSUSE users there are.  The users are not
the ones that direct drive this process though (all philosophical
debates aside).  They can express demand but it's still the developers
and the template owners that drive the changes.

I can speak to my own efforts.  I have some zSeries mainframe experience
with zOS Enterprise SuSE and my desire to work test scenarios using
openSUSE on x86_64 containers.  Consequently, I've been in contact with
the SuSE developers and they've been quite happy and appreciative to
have me do editing on the openSuSE template while I keep them up to date
and in the loop.  They do seem to be somewhat occupied by their "day
jobs".  :-)

> If I find some minutes, I'd like to see if I can get the template to
> choose which version should be installed. Is there any docu on this,
> or should I just have a look at the ubuntu one (which allows version
> selection IIRC)?

Most of the templates (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Oracle) allow for
version selection.  If OpenSuSE does not (which it apparently does not -
I just looked), that is something that needs to be addressed.  I think
they all suffer from the problem that they, by default, install a fixed
version and don't track "the latest" or "the latest supported", which
can be an indeterminant value.

There are several other things which need to go into the openSuSE
template wrt user and passwords.

> Regards,
> Johannes

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com