[lxc-devel] [JOB OPENING] Heroku: Systems Engineer, Infrastructure

Steve Conklin steve at conklinhouse.com
Tue Jun 17 19:04:30 UTC 2014

I'm posting this here because we're looking for people with LXC
experience, and it seemed relevant.  This opening is on the same team
I'm on at Heroku. Remote applicants in North America will be
considered (I'm a remote employee myself).

Thanks,

Steve Conklin
Engineer, Runtime Team, Heroku

What follows is the same text that's visible at this link, which also
has the application form.

http://heroku.theresumator.com/apply/FjuAER/Systems-Engineer-Infrastructure.html

--

Summary

Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously
delivering millions of apps with a high volume of deploys per day. Our
vision is for developers to focus on their applications, and leave
operations to us.

Our engineering team designs, builds, deploys and maintains the
distributed services that manage all the dynos in the Heroku cloud,
one of the largest Linux Containers (LXC) services in the world.

To augment this team, we’re looking for collaborative, diligent
engineers with a passion for systems engineering. In this role, you
will work side-by-side with other Heroku engineers to solve technical
challenges that stem from dynamically and securely running customer
apps in containers, and scaling the Heroku platform. Strong candidates
will be comfortable with both the big picture and the minutiae, and
bring both deep technical understanding and sound judgement to the
role.

Key Responsibilities

You’ll be directly responsible for the design, development and
maintenance of Heroku production services. That means:

* Understanding and improving our fast and secure Linux
Containerization (LXC) systems
* Triaging bugs and inconsistencies in production services
* Improving visibility into how the distributed systems interact and
run in production at scale
* Working with multiple engineers to understand and improve
operational deficiencies in the services
* Working with multiple product and engineering teams to deliver
improvements and new features for the platform
* Ensuring that we are continuously raising our standard of
engineering excellence by implementing best practices for coding,
testing and deploying

Key capabilities

Qualified candidates must have:

* Understanding of Linux containerization and/or virtualization
technology and applications
 *Experience in Linux process management, file system and networking
systems programming
* Understanding of the Linux security model
* Ability to understand, troubleshoot, trace and develop fixes for
root causes in distributed systems
* Technical proficiency with Heroku, RESTful web services, Linux, and
one or more dynamic programming languages
* Working knowledge of large scale service-oriented infrastructure and
the design of scalable, highly available systems in the real world
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the
ability to work effectively with geographically distributed teams and
people of various backgrounds

Bonus points for:

* Linux containers (LXC) and cgroups understanding
* Docker enthusiasm
* Multiple systems programming languages (C, Bash, Ruby, Go, etc.)
* Redis
* PostgreSQL

Location

Heroku is headquartered in San Francisco, California. For this
position, we are open to candidates in other locations in North
America given sufficient remote work experience.