[lxc-devel] LXC 1.0.4 has been released!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jun 14 13:58:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-13 at 21:59 +0200, Johannes Kastl wrote:
> On 13.06.2014 21:38 Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> > I'm confused on what you're trying to do.  You're trying to build
> > the Fedora installation RPM's on openSUSE?  Or are you trying to
> > build a Fedora Container on openSUSE?
>
> We had talked about this some time ago. It's confusing. I'll try to
> explain.
>
> There is a software called OBS, that's short for Open Build Service,
> located at http://openbuildservice.org/. Basically you can use it to
> build software for various distributions.
>
> OpenSUSE uses this for its repositories, that is why the old name OBS
> = openSUSE Build Service still sticks. But, on the installation that
> openSUSE uses, you can also build software for Fedora, CentOS, Arch,
> etc. pp.
>
> I am using the OBS to build (and make available) packages that use the
> upstream spec in the lxc-1.0.x.tar.gz. I suceeded in getting them to
> build for various flavors of openSUSE.
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:ojkastl_buildservice:LXC
>
> > Ok...  That sounds like a problem in the build system.  That error
> > message is pretty specific.  OTOH, if you're building the
> > packages, that's a reasonable install path but it should be
> > pointing to your package build install directory and that looks
> > like it's trying to install into the system root directory, but I
> > really don't know how that build system works.
>
> As I said, the spec builds fine on openSUSE. I try to set up a fedora
> container that I can use to test the actual build process.
>
> > Without knowing what that build system is doing, it's hard to say.
>
> If you want, try it out
>
> > Are you using the lxc.spec file from the LXC project or the
> > lxc.spec file from Fedora?  For one reason or another, they have
> > their own lxc.spec file and a slightly different packaging.

> I use the upstream spec with small changes (to fit it for openSUSE).
> But these changes were mostly done using a %if-clause, so they only
> apply for openSUSE. So building on fedora should not be troubled, at
> least I hope...

I assume you mean the LXC upstream, meaning the lxc.spec.in file we have
in under our source control as opposed to the one Fedora uses in their
project.  So why not submit those changes for openSUSE to us for
incorporation, maintenance and comment?

> Regards,
> Johannes

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com