[lxc-devel] LXC 1.0.4 has been released!

Johannes Kastl mail at ojkastl.de
Fri Jun 13 19:59:18 UTC 2014

On 13.06.2014 21:38 Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> I'm confused on what you're trying to do.  You're trying to build
> the Fedora installation RPM's on openSUSE?  Or are you trying to
> build a Fedora Container on openSUSE?

We had talked about this some time ago. It's confusing. I'll try to
explain.

There is a software called OBS, that's short for Open Build Service,
located at http://openbuildservice.org/. Basically you can use it to
build software for various distributions.

OpenSUSE uses this for its repositories, that is why the old name OBS
= openSUSE Build Service still sticks. But, on the installation that
openSUSE uses, you can also build software for Fedora, CentOS, Arch,
etc. pp.

I am using the OBS to build (and make available) packages that use the
upstream spec in the lxc-1.0.x.tar.gz. I suceeded in getting them to
build for various flavors of openSUSE.
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:ojkastl_buildservice:LXC

> Ok...  That sounds like a problem in the build system.  That error
> message is pretty specific.  OTOH, if you're building the
> packages, that's a reasonable install path but it should be
> pointing to your package build install directory and that looks
> like it's trying to install into the system root directory, but I
> really don't know how that build system works.

As I said, the spec builds fine on openSUSE. I try to set up a fedora
container that I can use to test the actual build process.

> Without knowing what that build system is doing, it's hard to say.

If you want, try it out

> Are you using the lxc.spec file from the LXC project or the
> lxc.spec file from Fedora?  For one reason or another, they have
> their own lxc.spec file and a slightly different packaging.

I use the upstream spec with small changes (to fit it for openSUSE).
But these changes were mostly done using a %if-clause, so they only
apply for openSUSE. So building on fedora should not be troubled, at
least I hope...

Regards,
Johannes
- --
...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).
(Matt Welsh)