[lxc-devel] multiple lxc container path directories?

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Thu Jun 12 06:10:21 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

On 06/08/14 18:59, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> I see, reviewing my notes now, that you were the one who brought it up
> back in December last year.  Funny too that I just got done doing
> something very very similar for lxc-autostart and the -g/--groups
> parameter (which is a comma separated string with multiple invocations).

Of course I remember. That was about extending the -P option.

This thread is about changing the lxcpath config option, keeping
-P as it is. The difference is: Some "wrapper" functionality could
loop over all lxc config dirs, to run an "lxc-* -P /somdir" command
either for all affected containers (e.g. to start or stop a set of
containers), or for the first container with a matching name.

AFAICS this would have a much smaller impact on the lxc-* commands,
making it more easy to implement (hopefully). Probably I do not see
all problems of this approach yet, so I started a sample implemen-
tation (a bash wrapper script). Its not complete yet; stay tuned.

> Doing lxc_path as multiple elements is much more involved that just the
> mere parser as that variable is deeply embedded throughout the code.
> Given Stéphane's reluctance to incorporate the lxc-autostart patches
> into the stable-1.0 branch, I can pretty much foresee this not making it
> into that branch due to its complexity, so it probably wouldn't show up
> in a release until 1.1 time frame or later.

Of course new functionality should not go to the stable branch.
1.1 would be fine.

Regards
Harri