[lxc-devel] Last minute template addition - universal image based template

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 14 14:54:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 09:04:32PM +0900, KATOH Yasufumi wrote:
> Hi,

>     in message   "Re: [lxc-devel] Last minute template addition - universal image based	template"
>                   St$(D+1(Bphane Graber-san wrote:
>
> > I've added plamo support to Jenkins and built two initial images. I
> > still need to hook Jenkins to the public server so you'll probably
> > only see them in a couple of days.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> > I went with a 48h expiry date for plamo. Jenkins will typically attempt
> > a build once a day, so 48h should avoid us expiring an image when
> > there's no new one around and still force users to re-grab new images
> > often enough for your use case.
>
> OK!
>
> > Oh, also. Do you know if there's a North American plamo mirror? Download
> > speeds from the default location are dreadful from here. It took me
> > 35min to download the 200MB from the ftp site (instead of the expected
> > 30s to a minute)...
>
> I don't know any North American mirror. :-(
>
> I list other mirrors in Japan, maybe download become faster (maybe
> slower ^_^;):
>   ftp://ftp.dnsbalance.ring.gr.jp/pub/linux/Plamo/
>   ftp://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/plamolinux/

Thanks, I'll try those.

> But as my previous mail, once lxc-create creates the cache, unless you
> remove the cache, next running lxc-create will not access ftp site
> (^_^;).

Due to the way the Jenkins job were setup, we always start from a clean
environment, so that means re-downloading everything every time.

For templates using http that's not a big problem because I have a
gigabit Debian and Ubuntu mirror on site and I have a gigabit squid
proxy for any other http query. The problem with plamo is that you're
using ftp which doesn't get through the transparent squid...

Anyway, it's not a huge problem as we're only building two plamo images,
so an hour of download time a day is no that problematic. If we had 20
builds, then it'd definitely be a rather big problem :)