[lxc-devel] Fwd: Re: [lxc-users] container/config: why "lxc." in front of config option names?

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 4 15:10:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 04:02:40PM +0100, lxc at zitta.fr wrote:

> Le 01/02/2014 17:13, Michael H. Warfield a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 12:59 +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >> The "lxc." in the config option names seems to be constant, so I wonder
> >> what it is good for?
> > It allows us to extend the configuration file for other scripts and
> > such.  For a long while I've used it for autoboot options, before
> > Stéphane added them in runup for the 1.0 release (still only in GIT).
> >
> > So my scripts would used something like this:
> >
> > # lxc-boot.autoboot...
> > # =0 => Do not boot automatically
> > # >0 => Boot order/phase
> > # <0 => Disabled
> > lxc-boot.autoboot = 10
> > lxc-boot.delay = 2
> >
> > lxc-system.description = "Alcove system"
> >
> > The core lxc code would then ignore anything in the lxc-boot or
> > lxc-system domain as not relevant.
> >
> > For at least the autoboot case, Stéphane has added these options for the
> > new lxc-autostart command in the upcoming 1.0.0 release:
> >
> > lxc.start.auto = 1
> > lxc.start.order = 1
> > lxc.start.delay = 10
> > lxc.group = X-Force
> >
> > But...  If you add them now to a configuration file for 0.9.0, it's
> > going to hurl chunks at you and tell you that you have invalid options.
>

> Changing ML from user to dev...
>
> Perhaps, We could use this in lxc/default.conf for template default options, like :
>
> template.gentoo.mirror = http://repos.loc
> template.ubuntu.release = precise
>
> It could help with a problem we had at work because servers don't have internet access and we have internal ubuntu mirrors
>
> Guillaume ZITTA

This probably should be done in lxc.conf rather than default.conf as
default.conf is copied to all newly created containers.

However for this to work with lxc.conf someone would first have to
change its parser to use something more similar to lxc's main config
parser (the lxc.conf parser is currently quite simple and has an
hardcoded list of supported options).