[lxc-devel] Building upstream lxc.spec on openSUSE OBS

Johannes Kastl mail at ojkastl.de
Tue Aug 19 18:53:17 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

I can't answer all your question in detail right now, I'll get back to
that. And I can try and split the patch in cosmetic and functional part.

On 17.08.2014 20:30 Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> You have two external sources called out here:
>
> +%if 0%{?suse_version} >= 1210 +Source1:        README.SUSE
> +Source2:        lxc-createconfig.in +%endif

I stole those from the pre-existing package for opensuse. I can
clarify with the original packagers, how to proceed.

> Why this change in the License?  I'm not saying either is right or
> wrong or that they're not functionally equivalent, but there must
> have been some reason for changing it and I would like to know what
> it was...

Basically, licenses on openSUSE and/or the OBS should follow the
nomenclature at https://spdx.org/licenses. At least AFAIK.

> +# openSUSE/SUSE +%if %{defined suse_version}
> +%{_mandir}/man[^3]/* +# not openSUSE/SUSE +%else +%if %{undefined
> rhel} +%{_mandir}/man[^3]/* +%{_mandir}/ja/* +%endif
>
> Looks like the man dir is the same for Suse and not Suse other than
> the Japanese pages (which I believe is what we need docbook2X for)
> or when rhel is defined.  I recall seeing a remark from you over
> the use of that regex on rhel, as well.  So you're NOT installing
> any man pages on RHEL/CentOS?  Why make this change (other than
> excluding the ja pages under Suse)?  Do you have some specific need
> for that regex at all? What is the problem with the way it was
> coded?  Were we missing something in another section?

Using [^3] is another cosmetic thing, that cleans up nicely. But, as
that does not work on CentOS/RHEL <7 (at least in my tests), I had to
workaround like this. But this is not the bee's knees, if you ask me.
Needs more looking into.

> Seems like there were a number of changes in here that were not
> necessary to make it build under Suse (or it's unclear why they
> were necessary).  Can we split the functionally substantive changes
> from the purely cosmetic changes and style changes?

I'll try to.

> Right now, let's focus on getting the patch into an acceptable form
> with minimal cosmetic changes and undo the use of that regex for
> the man pages.

If you wish, I'll cut out the regex.

Give me a couple days, and I see what I can do.

Regards,
Johannes
- --
There are only two kinds of music: Rock and Roll.
(Keith Richards)