[lxc-devel] Building upstream lxc.spec on openSUSE OBS

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 18 16:29:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 21:52 +0200, Johannes Kastl wrote:
> On 13.08.2014 21:10 Johannes Kastl wrote:
> > On 13.08.2014 20:41 Johannes Kastl wrote:
> >> Hi MIke, hi Dwight,
> >
> >> sorry for the long long delay. I finally got time to work on
> >> that a little, and produced a patch against lxc.spec.in. At
> >> least, I got a working spec, and I am in the middle of patching.
> >> Stay tuned...
> >
> > Here it is. I hope this patch has the right format, if not just
> > say what's wrong.

> I attach the second version of my patch, which has been cleaned up,
> has clearer distinctions between distributions and builds on CentOS7
> (if I comment out the BuildRequires for docbook2x).

> Can someone build it on CentOS 5/6/7 where docbook2x is available?

There's no reason to even attempt to build on CentOS 5.  Latest kernel
on CentOS 5 is 2.6.18 which will not support LXC containers anyways.  We
can support CentOS 5 in a container but we can not support it as a host
due to lack of kernel infrastructure support for cgroups and name
spaces.

CentOS 6 (and presumably 7) has docbook2X in EPEL.  Since LXC is an EPEL
package for CentOS and RHEL as well (and has the same EPEL project
maintainer as the Fedora distro maintainer for LXC), there's no need to
try and build it without docbook2X.  If this is a problem with building
under that OBS build system then it's their problem.

I have built the lxc rpm's under CentOS6 w/ docbook2X from EPEL from git
head (1.1.0alpha1 ++) plus my patches for the lxc-net refactoring from
Martin Pitt and a couple of misc fixes (potentially uninitialized
ifindex in lxc_user_nic.c at 478).  I'm also building with Python 3.3
from the Alt repository, which may cause a great deal more heartburn for
Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny at gmx.de> (the EPEL / Fedora package
maintainer) but that's a choice between doing that and lost
functionality we'll have to work out.

That's going to be my gold standard for merging your changes in.  There
have been some changes in the area of the %post sections of that spec
file and your patch won't apply cleanly.  I can cherry pick the Suse
specific changes out of it but there still remains the issue of missing
source files.

I still have work to do on the CentOS 7 patches for the CentOS template
and containers but it should build under CentOS 7 with docbook2X
installed from EPEL.

I'll be submitting my current patch set in the next day or so.  I just
found a couple more gotcha's in the sysvinit area of the lxc.spec.in
file thanks to your suggestion of building on CentOS (I missed adding
lxc-net to the sysvinit block for CentOS 6) so I'm still doing some
regression testing on my platforms.  I had almost forgotten to recheck
the builds on CentOS.  Thanks for reminding me!

> Regards,
> Johannes

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com