[lxc-devel] Cells open source release

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 20 14:24:58 UTC 2013

Quoting Jeremy C. Andrus (jeremya at cs.columbia.edu):
> On Sep 19, 2013, at 10:25 AM, shridutt kothari <shriduttkothari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> > That sounds awesome, What would be the key use cases we can imagine with this?
>
> We discuss several use cases both in our paper, and on our website:
>     http://cells.cs.columbia.edu/.
>
> As a quick summary, multiple, isolated, virtual devices on the same phone can allow
> business professionals to carry a single phone that contains both corporate and
> personal phones, providing an efficient, high performance BYOD solution. Application
> developers can use multiple virtual devices to test different applications and
> configurations. Cells also gives parents a way to isolate applications and settings in a
> kid-friendly virtual tablet while simultaneously running a full-featured tablet configured
> with private email addresses and applications on the same physical tablet.

In the past I'd thought a device namespace would mainly do something
like translate maj:min on host to maj:min in a namespace.  But after
seeing the demo twice, I agree with the need for an extra "active" vs
"inactive" state, with buffering in the "inactive" state.  That's
something we don't have in any other namespace and sets devicens apart.