[lxc-devel] Change rootfs pinning mechnism

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 13 16:18:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 05:11:37PM +0100, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> > Concur on the revert.
> >
> > What is really gained by deleting that file?  I agree with the basic
> > idea of moving and renaming that file to hold the mount open but, are
> > we
> > really that worried that someone will inadvertently delete that file?
> > It shouldn't be a security issue and I don't think I see someone
> > deleting it to be stupid (but then you're still holding it open and
> > the
> > general case applies).  I'm just not sure what was being accomplished
> > by
> > the whole delete while held action here.
>
> I see a consensus forming:
>
>   - change name to something starting with a dort _inside_ the rootfs
>     (e.g. .lxc-running)
>   - don't delete it immediately
>   - remove it at stop
>
> Agreed?

Whatever we end up with, please make sure we don't fail if the file
can't be created (read-only rootfs).

I'm not completely sure what a .lxc-running file would gain us since we
already have a unique abstract socket path which is much more reliable
to check if a given container is already running.

It's also not impossible that someone may actually want to run the same
container multiple times, so using the pin to prevent double-start seems
odd and would completely prevent shared rootfs.

I personally think that we shouldn't use the pin as an indication of the
container running at all, but only for its original purpose which is to
have a writable file open on the filesystem in order to prevent a
read-only remount of that fs.