[lxc-devel] Change rootfs pinning mechnism

Christian Seiler christian at iwakd.de
Fri Sep 13 16:11:37 UTC 2013

Hi there,

> Concur on the revert.
>
> What is really gained by deleting that file?  I agree with the basic
> idea of moving and renaming that file to hold the mount open but, are
> we
> really that worried that someone will inadvertently delete that file?
> It shouldn't be a security issue and I don't think I see someone
> deleting it to be stupid (but then you're still holding it open and
> the
> general case applies).  I'm just not sure what was being accomplished
> by
> the whole delete while held action here.

I see a consensus forming:

  - change name to something starting with a dort _inside_ the rootfs
    (e.g. .lxc-running)
  - don't delete it immediately
  - remove it at stop

Agreed?

The only thing I'm not really sure about:

  - fail if it already exists
         => let's say one has an LXC running somewhere, the power goes
out,
            no UPS, the host reboots after some time, tries to
auto-start the
            LXC on boot but LXC won't start because .lxc-running
exists...
  - perhaps we could write the pid of the lxc-start process in there, so
that
    it may check whether the container is really running?

-- Christian