[lxc-devel] [Not A Patch] [POC] Proof of concept code for using devtmpfs for autodev and more...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Nov 1 20:19:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 15:03 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > The only place that's being used is in creating a symlink...
> >
> > /dev/.lxc/$name -> /dev/.lxc/$pathhash
> >
> > I use it for the same reason you wanted the extra bind mounts to
> > $lxcpath/$lxcname.dev.  In your case, you wanted to see the dev mappings
>
> Oh - gotcha.  Well in that case I'd say just create your own unique
> $name.$index.  that should be enough info.

> Oh now unprivileged container creation of course will not be able
> to do this as I won't be able to create /dev/.lxc/anything as uid
> 1000.

Oh, we're going to have to look into that then.  We're doing other
privileged operations like the bind mounts...  Hmmm...  It may have to
then be a fall back to tmpfs on ${container}/dev/ in that case.

> > in the mount tables, in my case I was going for them in the symlinks
> > in /dev/.  It's so I can correlate a cgroup name and browsing the
> > cgroups with the same name in /dev/.lxc.

> > > Yes.  I don't know offhand where though.
> >
> > K  I'll look into that deeper.  Right now I'm going to play with this
> > whole idea of two containers with the same name and see how all that
> > works.
> >
> > I'm also trying to figure out where those "rootfsproc" and "rootfssys"
> > subdirectories in /var/lib/lxc/$name/ are being creating.  I'm having a

> I don't know either.  I don't have them.  Could it be the fedora
> template somewhere along the way?  My first thought was the new
> automounting stuff, but I don't see it there...

That's WEIRD.  After I create a container, they are not there.  After I
start the template, they are there but nothing is in them.  They're
there for the Fedora containers but also the Ubuntu, Oracle, and Suse
containers I've created and started.  I'm running the latest git code
and it's not in any of my personal support scripts either.  One more
thing for me to track down.

Thanks!

> -serge

Regards,