[lxc-devel] Container autostart proposal V2

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue May 28 21:06:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 15:53 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback on my previous autostart proposal.
> >
> > Here's a detailed bullet-point list of what should be done to implement
> > autostarting containers in upstream LXC.
> >
> > Changes to the container config:
> >  - ADD: lxc.start.auto (integer, 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, default: 0)
> >  - ADD: lxc.start.delay (integer, time in second, default: 0)

> Pardon me, but I'll ask here rather than go back and re-read the thread:

> Is that a delay after the 'lxc-start -a' before this will be started?

After, I would strongly expect.  Since you can not independently (in an
orthogonal container sense) determine what has occurred before invoking
the container it would only make sense that the "delay" might be some
condition imposed due to the requirements of starting the container,
which would only be post-start.  I can definitely feel a desire for
this, given the behavior of systemd in starting a container.

> >  - ADD: lxc.start.order (integer, boot order, default: 0)
> >  - ADD: lxc.group (string, multi-value, default: empty)

> multi-value how: comma-separated, space-separated, or just support
> multiple lxc.group entries?

Now THAT's a very interesting question which as not come up in
discussion to this point.  I, personally, have no strong options on this
one.

> -serge

Regards,
Mike