[lxc-devel] 0.9.x versions before 1.0

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 11 21:24:43 UTC 2013

Quoting Dwight Engen (dwight.engen at oracle.com):
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:22:47 -0500
> Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
> > > To add to the "you broke my lxc-create" list, the new version also
> > > dropped the fancy header I introduced a while back (showing the
> > > template name, the arguments passed to it and the checksum of the
> > > template used at the time.
> > >
> > > An example was:
> > > # Template used to create this container: ubuntu
> > > # Parameters passed to the template: -a amd64 -r precise
> > > # Template script checksum (SHA-1):
> > > b1f15036868c53cca0698f1efcadd88dfefaee9b
> >
> > So as it stands, when you clone a container etc the comments
> > get dropped.  When you use the API to add a config item and
> > rewrite it, you lose comments.
>
> Hi Serge, I also noticed that when you clone the lxc.id_map items get
> dropped as well. Maybe this is intentional though, I guess the clone
> should really get some new, unique range but we'd have to figure out
> what that range is and also shift the ids in the rootfs so that seems
> like not an easy problem.

I did not do this intentionally.  I think this is a bug (missing block
of code) in the save_config code.

I think it woudl be better to have lxc-clone maintain the uid mappings,
then have a separate minimal utility (or api function) to shift the
uids.  Really the 'container-userns-convert' script should become an
api function and should shift from any uid mapping to any other (not
just non-mapped to newly mapped).