[lxc-devel] 0.9.x versions before 1.0

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 11 14:22:47 UTC 2013

Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
> To add to the "you broke my lxc-create" list, the new version also
> dropped the fancy header I introduced a while back (showing the template
> name, the arguments passed to it and the checksum of the template used
> at the time.
>
> An example was:
> # Template used to create this container: ubuntu
> # Parameters passed to the template: -a amd64 -r precise
> # Template script checksum (SHA-1): b1f15036868c53cca0698f1efcadd88dfefaee9b

So as it stands, when you clone a container etc the comments
get dropped.  When you use the API to add a config item and
rewrite it, you lose comments.

How should we handle this?

One thing we could do is have 'lxc.header' and 'lxc.footer'
statements which are ignored like comments but which get
reinserted whenever we write out the config.

Or, we could simply have the lxcapi_create() function manually
prepend your fancy header as the very last thing it does, and
keep everything else the same.

Preference?

-serge