[lxc-devel] Beta: LXC template for gentoo

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Dec 28 16:19:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 15:14 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 18:02 +0100, Guillaume ZITTA wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm working on lxc-gentoo template.
> > https://github.com/gza/lxc-gentoo-template
>
> > It needs more testing before asking for mainline inclusion, but it
> > mostly works.
> > So posting if some interesting in testing with me.

> I'm interesting.  I'm running Fedora and CentOS hosts.  If it can build
> a Gentoo container on a Fedora host, I'm VERY interested and willing to
> test.

Ok...  Initial tests completed.

Observations:

*) Line 106: That mkdir needs a -p for the initial cache setup.  After
that, I was able to successfully build a Gentoo container on my Fedora
19 host.  Good deal.

*) You probably do NOT need these entries in the config file:

# /dev/tty{0,1}
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:1 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:0 rwm

Those will be created as bind mounts to pty devices.

*) Similarly, not sure having the tun device in the default config is
such a good idea.

*) Was not obvious what the login credentials were.  Had to look it up
in the script.  Using root/toor is almost as bad as root/root.  In the
Fedora and CentOS templates, I'm proposing to use temporary root
passwords of "Root-${name}-${RANDOM}" and highly this at the end of the
script in the user instructions.

*) Needs some clear user instructions at the end of the template to
instruct the user what to do next (like what the password is and that
hey should change it as soon as possible).

> > Regards,

> > Guillaume ZITTA

> Regards,
> Mike

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com