[lxc-devel] [ lxc-Bugs-3611609 ] Configuration files are comment-location sensative

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 22 21:38:37 UTC 2013

Bugs item #3611609, was opened at 2013-04-22 14:38
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by marphod
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=826303&aid=3611609&group_id=163076

not just the latest update.
Category: liblxc
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Platform: CentOS6.4, with a 3.8.8 Xen-enabled Kernel (kernel-xen repository)
LXC Version: 0.8.0-rc2 (rpmforge repository)
Command line: lxc-start -n centos-template -l DEBUG -o start.log

The entire content of the error log was (set at DEBUG) when starting the container:
      lxc-start 1366665027.366 ERROR    lxc_confile - Success - invalid ipv4 broadcast address: 192.168.253.9
      lxc-start 1366665027.366 ERROR    lxc_start_ui - failed to read configuration file

(The logging level of the first line is a separate issue, but problematic. Probably should be NOTICE or INFO)

In the end, I discovered that the lines in my config file that were problematic were
     lxc.network.hwaddr=4A:59:43:49:30:BF   # REMEMBER TO CHANGE FOR EACH INSTANCE
     lxc.network.ipv4=192.168.253.9/24    # REMEMBER TO CHANGE FOR EACH INSTANCE

It did not matter where in the config file these lines were located (that is, it didn't matter if there were valid config lines following or preceeding these lines).  Removing the comment (or moving it to its own line) was sufficient to fix the problem.

(I'm guessing that this is liblxc, rather than some other category.  It could quite possibly be a bug in a 3rd party tool used to parse the config files.)

(summary: config files, probably low priority, probably should document if not fixed.)