[lxc-devel] [Lxc-users] LXC- ARM6 RaspberryPI Fedora core 14

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 5 12:34:11 UTC 2013

Quoting Bas Pape (baspape at gmail.com):
> > Just a follow up question, I had a chat today with an ArchArm user in
> > the IRC chat channel, and
> > he said that it is impossible to run a x86 container on Lxc with an ARM
> > host . Is this true ?
>
> Yes, it is. Linux containers (the concept, not just this particular
> set of tools) use the host kernel and isolate applications using
> namespaces. This also means that if the host kernel is not able to run
> the application, it won't work. arm kernels cannot run x86, so plain
> lxc won't work (qemu might, but whether that's a good idea on arm...)

No, in theory you should be able to run a x86 container on arm the same
way we run arm containers on x86 - by registering qemu-i386-static as
binfmt handler.  In practice, as I said earlier (I think in this thread)
just as qemu-arm-static has bugs on x86, I'd expect qemu-i386-static to
have bugs on arm.  And you unfortunately can't ptrace that way.

-serge