[lxc-devel] [Need Assistance] How to monitor activities inside LXC-Container

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Thu Jun 28 07:08:37 UTC 2012

Dear Sharma,

Because container virtualization may be roughly described as a "complex chroot tool", a process actually don't "run" inside container. It's acting in the same context of one-and-only kernel which have bootstrapped the host. It is just inside a access control group, which phenotype forms "the container".

Therefore, since container isolation in LXC is mainly formed by different namespaces and the host -- as a super-root -- is able to distinguish and access all processes of a container, you may use the same mechanisms to inspect the system as in the vanilla case, e.g. to hook  strace  to a process which belongs to a container.

Guido