[lxc-devel] Reg: Using an ISO image as rootfs for a LXC

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Mon Jul 25 20:04:18 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 08:17 PM, Alphonse Hansel Anthony wrote:
>  Hi,
>   I am trying to start a LXC, with a ISO image as the rootfs.
>
> the excerpt of the mount options that I use in lxc.conf
>
> lxc.rootfs = rootfs.iso
> lxc.rootfs.mount = /lxc/rootfs
>
> The error that I get while I start the LXC
>
> -----
> lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to exec /sbin/init
> lxc-start: invalid sequence number 1. expected 2
> lxc-start: failed to spawn 'raven'
> lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove cgroup '/cgroup/raven'
> ------
>
> on closer look at the lxc-start , I found the following
>
> 1) the iso image is mounted at the specified location
> 2) I am also able to stat the /sbin/init file.
>
> I instrumented the code in file ${SRC_FOLDER}/src/lxc/start.c:: static
> int start(struct lxc_handler *handler, void* data)
> and I am able to stat the file /sbin/init just before execvp, but exec
> fails with "No such file or directory".
>
> Any help in this regard would be useful.

I created a ISO image and started the container. The container starts as
expected (but the mountall fails because the rootfs is RO.)
Is it possible the iso image contains an extra directory where the
rootfs belongs ? I mean, if you mount the iso image on a directory
'mnt', you should see '/mnt/usr, /mnt/lib, ...' is it the case ?