[lxc-devel] Linux-CR and LXC migration

Sukadev Bhattiprolu sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jan 6 01:40:29 UTC 2011

Carlos N. A. Corrêa [carlos.nilton at gmail.com] wrote:

| I did my part in reading through the list archives and getting

| - https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/images-ckpt/4/46/Linux-cr-ols2010.pdf
| - https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
| - https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Link-LXC-USERCR

Thats a good start.

| - http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=25136852
|
| in my reading list, but this
|
| - http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/lxc-patches/
| - http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/usercr-patches/

where did you find these broken links ? If you can let me know, I will
fix the links. But as mentioned in

	https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Link-LXC-USERCR

there are sub-directories (eg lxc-0.7.2) for each version of LXC.

You may also want to refer to this mail:

http://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/containers/2010-November/025964.html

| for example, is not available.
|
| I'm sending this message in the hope that my job would be useful and could
| be done in a way that it benefits the community. So, I would like to ask:
|
| 1) Working on that would help something on, somebody in or someway the
| project?

You can try out the patches, report problems and if possible submit fixes for
any problems you encounter :-)

| 2) Are those good references in the current affair of things on LXC-CR and
| migration?

Other than that LXC+USERCR wiki and discussions on this mailing list,
none.

| 3) Is there a "reference model" as how that functionality should be built?

Not sure what you mean by a reference model.

| 4) Is there any "code conventions" on LXC?

Same as linux kernel code for the most part.

| 5) There is something like that already built: vzmigrate.

| Are you OK with
| the concept of copying a frozen machine to it's new place through ssh?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but yes you can ssh the checkpoint image
to a different machine with similar configuration and restart the container.

| Or is LXC trying to mimetize as little as possible other projects?

I don't understand what you mean by this.