[lxc-devel] Linux-CR and LXC migration

Carlos N. A. Corrêa carlos.nilton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 12:51:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm interested in the state of things concerning Linux-CR and LXC containers
migration.

I'm not THAT great code wizard and besides being new on this block, I would
like to try implementing that functionality. This would be my choice as part
of the coursework for my MS degree.

I worked before with kernel code on Kernel-Janitors (an old project for
little bug-squashing, good for newcomers), Linux-ABI (I got that patch to
work flawlessly in a fairly recent kernel) and porting drivers of an old IBM
POS plataform to 2.6.32 (486 machines!).

I did my part in reading through the list archives and getting

- https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/images-ckpt/4/46/Linux-cr-ols2010.pdf
- https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
- https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Link-LXC-USERCR
- http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=25136852

in my reading list, but this

- http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/lxc-patches/
- http://lxc.sourceforge.net/patches/lxc+usercr/usercr-patches/

for example, is not available.

I'm sending this message in the hope that my job would be useful and could
be done in a way that it benefits the community. So, I would like to ask:

1) Working on that would help something on, somebody in or someway the
project?
2) Are those good references in the current affair of things on LXC-CR and
migration?
3) Is there a "reference model" as how that functionality should be built?
4) Is there any "code conventions" on LXC?
5) There is something like that already built: vzmigrate. Are you OK with
the concept of copying a frozen machine to it's new place through ssh? Or is
LXC trying to mimetize as little as possible other projects?

Thanks for you attention and my best regards,
Carlos "Bill" Nilton
CISSP, RHCE, ITIL Foundations
http://carlosnilton.com.br/