[lxc-devel] lxc final thesis

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Feb 24 21:58:29 UTC 2011

On 02/24/2011 07:38 PM, Farcasi Ana-Maria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student in the final year at the Computer Science Faculty in
> Bucharest, Romania and I would like to contribute to the lxc project as part
> of the final thesis together with a colleague of mine.
> We were thinking to work at the bandwidth limitation within a container. Is
> it ok to contribute? Are there some pointers regarding the course of action?
> Or is there anything else we could do in three months time?

Are you referring to bandwidth in general (cpu, io, network ...) or just
the network ?

Lxc is tied with the cgroup. The cgroup provides some controllers to
limit the network bandwidth as well as the blkio.
The network bandwidth for a container is hard to setup as far as I can
see and some experiments to limit the bandwidth wrt the different lxc's
network configuration maybe helpful. The first step would be to do that
manually and the second step we can integrate in a couple of
configuration lines the bandwidth limits for download and upload for the
container.

Some pointers:
http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2009_slides/cgroup_talk.odp
http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2009_slides/Network%20Control%20Group%20Whitepaper.odt