[lxc-devel] [patch 0/3][RFC] init logger

Michael Holzt lxc at my.fqdn.org
Thu Jan 14 21:00:17 UTC 2010

> I guess current lxc code is a quite good framework - no need to reinvent the
> wheel.

I'm not so sure. I would like to see some approaches changed but the latest
discussion gave the impression that the changes i (and probably other) would
like to see will not happen.

For example i fully agree with Michael Tokarev that lxc-start contains too
much internal functionality which would be better and more flexible if done
by shell scripts. But while script hooks are likely to appear in lxc soon,
it currently seems that removing code in favor of shell scripts will not
happen.

I can partly understand this, as it might slow down starting a little bit,
especially when not running a "full container" with lxc-start but just
executing a program with lxc-execute. But i still think that this approach
would be much more flexible (btw. xen for example does it in the same
way) and not significantly more slowly (especially when considing the
normal init run of a full container).

My intended use of lxc is to replace (some of) my xen domains with container
instances and therefore i honestly don't care for lxc-execute, but really
want to have lxc-start to be as flexible as possible. Currently it does
some things which would be better suited to be done by the container itself,
e.g. as Michael noted today the mount of devpts.

Currently lxc-execute and lxc-start result in mainly the same code executed.
Maybe this should be splitted and lxc-start made much more simple to leave
the setup to the container.

> Besides, we will also implement a small wrapper above lxc - mainly because I
> want to use the proxmox storage library, and to be able to run openvz
> container (more or less unmodified).
> Well, all that is Proxmox related, so I am not sure if that is of general
> interest.

I'm unsure. A wrapper is needed anyway as discussed, maybe you can create in
a way that it is of use for others as well.

Btw: Sorry for making you a german instead of austrian. I've read "GmbH" and
only know "GesmbH" from Austria...

Regards,
Michael

--
It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks