[lxc-devel] utsname might not be enough, add optional containername?

Michael Holzt lxc at my.fqdn.org
Fri Jan 8 02:53:51 UTC 2010

> I suggest adding a containername variable,

Ok, i was missing that it uses the name on the commandline for cgroup etc.
and not the utsname. Sorry for that.

This however is somewhat in connect with my proposal regarding lxc-start etc.

I'm used to xen and as i already told, on xen i just say "xm create <name>".
"name" is actually not the name of the domain but the name of a configfile.
xen will then do everything as specified by the configfile. xen will take
the actual name of the instance out of this configfile, so i can for example
copy mydomain.conf into mydomain.conf.test and use this configfile, but
still have the name of the instance be "mydomain" as specified in the
conffile.

I really like this approach much more than the current approach in lxc.
Now as i was told today (obviously missed that before) it is possible to
supply the conf-name by parameter to lxc-start, so i can at least get rid
of the lxc-create invocation. But still i need to supply the name of the
container on the command line as well.

What also bugs me about lxc is that i always have to write -n before the
name of the container. This seems unnecessary. Bad enough, lxc-ps does not
even know "-n" and must be used with "--name".

Considering all this, i propose to put the containername into the config
file and allow e.g. 'lxc-start -f conffile' or even better 'lxc-start
conffile'.

Also i would like to see other commands simplified. There is no need for
'lxc-netstat -n container', just make it 'lxc-netstat container'. Other
candidates: 'lxc-ps container', 'lxc-cgroup container ...', etc.

Comments?

Regards,
Michael

--
It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks