[lxc-devel] Debian packaging and the liblxc library

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Wed Mar 18 11:09:27 UTC 2009

Guido Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to package LXC for Debian I noticed that lxc has a
> library, with SONAME 0.6.0 (for the current stable release).
> This is not very packageable: if I provide a public library in Debian
> the API/ABI should be "kind of stabilized" and there should be a
> SONAME bump at every ABI breakage, plus I need to change the -dev
> package name when the API breaks.
> So my question is: what's the status of liblxc? Is it a
> "kind-of-stable" library to be used externally or, at least for now,
> an internal library for the lxc userspace utilities?

Excellent question.
The liblxc is under development and the API is still moving searching
for the frontier between the library functionalities and the command lines.
To answer your question, the status of the library is : "at least for
now, an internal library for the lxc userspace utilities."
In the future, the liblxc will be a container development library and
the command lines will rely on it, but before freezing the library api,
I was expecting feedbacks from people to look for if something is wrong
with the library API.

I am working on a parallel project which should provide the
checkpoint/resart for lxc, and I feel the liblxc API has to change a litle.

I was planning to freeze the library API with a lxc-1.0.0 version.
> In the second case maybe it's better to change things so that it's
> installed in /usr/lib/lxc/... rather than /usr/lib, and not to provide
> liblxc[-dev] as packages at all, until the API/ABI is stable enough.

Yes, that makes sense.