[lxc-devel] Debian packaging and the liblxc library

Guido Trotter ultrotter at google.com
Wed Mar 18 10:10:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

While trying to package LXC for Debian I noticed that lxc has a
library, with SONAME 0.6.0 (for the current stable release).
This is not very packageable: if I provide a public library in Debian
the API/ABI should be "kind of stabilized" and there should be a
SONAME bump at every ABI breakage, plus I need to change the -dev
package name when the API breaks.
So my question is: what's the status of liblxc? Is it a
"kind-of-stable" library to be used externally or, at least for now,
an internal library for the lxc userspace utilities?
In the second case maybe it's better to change things so that it's
installed in /usr/lib/lxc/... rather than /usr/lib, and not to provide
liblxc[-dev] as packages at all, until the API/ABI is stable enough.
In the first case it would probably be nice to stabilize the SONAME to
something like "1" and not bump it up with every version.  What do you
think?

Thanks,

Guido