[lxc-users] Symlink of underlying LVM volume disappears when resizing

Kees Bakker keesb at ghs.com
Fri May 8 12:17:12 UTC 2020

Hey,

(( I don't have much luck with the latest LXD on Ubuntu 20.04. Here is another problem. ))

I switched a container from one profile (default) to another.
The default profile has no disk size (but is 10GB, I believe). The new
profile has a disk size of 20GB. Oh, and I have a LVM storage pool, and
LXD is 4.0.1 snap.

So, I did "lxc config edit jenkins-slave001", changed the profile and closed
the editor. Then it gave me this error:

Config parsing error: Failed to update device "root": Could not extend underlying ext4 filesystem for "/dev/local/containers_jenkins--slave001":
Press enter to start the editor again

After closing the editor gain, the symlink in /dev/mapper and /dev/local was gone.
("local" is the name of my volume group).

I've seen this before, and after a reboot the symlinks are back. But hey,
this is not Windows, so there must be a better way. And, of course, it
would be nice if this didn't happen anymore.
--
Kees