[lxc-users] Networking

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Mar 25 09:31:03 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 6:22 PM Saint Michael <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:

> That scheme in my case would not work. I have two interfaces inside the container, and each one talks to a different network, for business reasons. I use policy-based-routing to make sure that packets go to the right places. I need that the container can hold a full configuration. In my case, I use ifupdown, not netplan, since my containers are for an older version of Debian.
> It is "not right" that ipvlan does not work out-of-the-box like macvlan or veth. Somebody has to fix it. I cannot use macvlan because Vmware only allows multiple macs if the entire network is set in promiscuous mode, and that kills performance. So basically the only workaround is ipvlan. As I said, if you use type=phys and ipvlan inside the host, it works fine, without altering the container.

Apparently this also works, as long as you have the same ip in
container config and inside the container

Container config:
# Network configuration
lxc.net.0.name = eth0
lxc.net.0.type = ipvlan
lxc.net.0.ipvlan.mode = l3s
lxc.net.0.l2proxy = 1
lxc.net.0.link = eth0
lxc.net.0.ipv4.address = 10.0.3.222

inside the container -> normal networking config (e.g. /etc/netplan/10-lxc.yaml)
network:
  version: 2
  ethernets:
    eth0: