[lxc-users] LXD - Production Hardware Guide

Stéphane Graber stgraber at stgraber.org
Sat Jun 6 02:42:03 UTC 2020

ZFS very much prefers seeing the individual physical disks.
When dealing directly with full disks, it can do quite a bit to
monitor them and handle issues.
If it's placed behind RAID, whether hardware or software backed, all
that information disappears and it doesn't really know whether to
retry an operation or consider the disk to be bad.

The same is true if you ever end up using Ceph where you want a 1:1
mapping between physical disk and OSDs, so in general I'd recommend
against hardware RAID at this point.

Stéphane

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Steven Spencer <sspencerwire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrey and List,
>
> Thanks so much for your response, and we understand all of that. We know that if we have 3 containers the server configuration is going to be different than if we have 30 or 100, and that we will have to size RAM, Processors, etc, accordingly. What I think we are more interested in is: If we use ZFS, is there a recommended way to use it? Should we use RAID of any kind? If so, should it be hardware or software RAID? We realize, too, that we will need to size our drives according to how much space we will actually need for the number of containers we will be running. Really it's just about the underlying file system for the containers. It seems like there should be a basic white paper or something with just guidelines on best practices for LXD. That would really help us. We have found the LXD documentation and we have actually used these docs. We've even used ZFS under LXD on our first iteration of this project about 3 years ago. We are now looking to do this again. The first time was mostly a success. Recenly, we had the main LXD server die and for no apparent reason (hardware / software / memory - the logs don't really give us much). Our snapshot server was the savior, but now we need to repeat our earlier process, and if we made mistakes, we would like to fix them in the process.
>
> Thanks again for the response, any further information would be helpful.
>
> Steven G. Spencer
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings, Steven Spencer!
>>
>> > Is there a good link to use for specifying hardware requirements for an LXD dedicated server?
>>
>> There can't be specific requirements, it all depends on what you want to do,
>> how many containers to run, etc.
>>

>> --
>> With best regards,
>> Andrey Repin