[lxc-users] lxd-client on 20.04 focal

Stéphane Graber stgraber at stgraber.org
Mon Jul 13 03:28:48 UTC 2020

If shoving a static binary in your Docker container is an option, it's
pretty simple to build the LXD client alone as a static binary.

Install "golang-go" and "git", then run "go get
github.com/lxc/lxd/lxc". This will take a little while as it downloads
the needed source trees.
Once done, you'll find a "lxc" binary in ~/go/bin/ which you can start
using as standalone client.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:50 AM Logan V. <logan at protiumit.com> wrote:
> >
> > Typically I use lxd-client in jobs that run in docker containers, so the container has the lxd-client apt package installed. Now it seems that the lxd and lxd-client are just shims for the snap.
> >
> > Since it seems like installing snaps in docker (ie. environments without snapd running) is very difficult, I'm curious if any consideration has been given to how lxd-client can be installed aside from snaps? Are there any ppas or something I should be using instead?
>
> What are you using lxd client for?
>
> If it's as simple as "creating a container" or "running lxc shell/lxc
> exec", IIRC old versions of lxd client (3.03 should still be available
> on previous distros) can connect to newer lxd server as well
>
> --
> Fajar

Stéphane