[lxc-users] Error: websocket: close 1006 (abnormal closure): unexpected EOF

Stéphane Graber stgraber at stgraber.org
Fri Sep 20 07:12:34 UTC 2019

No.

A refresh needs to restart the LXD API server (lxd daemon), the "lxc exec"
session is done through websockets served by that API server.

In theory we could have LXD detect existing exec sessions and hold the
restart, but that's not a great option either as that would effectively
cause clusters to hang and for standalone systems would mean that a single
background exec session would hold security and bugfix updates which
doesn't seem good either.

One thing I'd like to improve is the error message you get when it happens
and ideally have the API send a control message a few seconds before the
session goes down.
It's probably reasonable for us to hold the restart for 10s and send that
notification which would allow some API clients to cleanly interrupt what
they're doing, the issue with this is that there is no good way to show
that notice to the user as we don't want to mess too much with what you get
on screen during an exec session.

Anyway, that's probably as much as we're likely to be doing about this, do
notification and improve errors so our API clients can be smarter about
this.

Stéphane

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:31 AM Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> On 2019-09-20 12:23, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>
> > If you're asking 'how to keep "lxc exec session running when lxd is
> > restarted", then it's not possible.
>
> Yes, I guess that's what I'm asking about!
>
> Is there a chance it will be possible in the future? With some changes
> to lxd restart model maybe? Or how lxc exec sessions are handled?
>

> Tomasz Chmielewski
> https://lxadm.com

Stéphane